Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Thwaites Indus IPA

Thwaites continue on their journey with new beers and styles with Indus IPA (4.6%abv). Named after a ship that very well may have journeyed eastwards whilst Daniel Thwaites was alive, Indus may not satisfy fans of US-Style Hop-Bomb IPA's, but there's plenty to recommend.
Brassy Amber in colour, it's a vibrant, well-conditioned bottle. The nose, as you'd expect, is Citrus-led but with Orange or Tangerine being the dominant note. That softness continues into the sip; a well-rounded toffee sweetness that is stopped from being slightly too sweet by another bitter Orange/Lemon sharpness hit at the end; a full, sweet finish rather than drying.

Thwaites' beers are usually well-made and solid; Indus IPA is another beer that hits that mark, and is definitely worth a look.

Apologies for the stock picture. Strangely - and it's something I have never done before - I deleted the original picture before use. Must be getting old.

7 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

I was quite impressed with this - to my palate it seemed rather drier and more bitter than your description suggests. One of the few genuinely hoppy beers to be found amongst the usual ranks of the PBAs.

Andy said...

you beat me to it! was writing a review of it earlier lol

ive bought and supped about 20 bottles now...its become my fridge beer of the moment.

Leigh said...

andy mate - sorry! I'll keep an eye out for your review!
Curmudg - I really enojyed it's relative fruitiness, didnt get dryness much!

Bailey said...

Andy -- I know exactly what you mean by your "fridge beer" -- the one which, when push comes to shove, you actually want to drink after a tough day at work.

I don't think I've ever had a Thwaites beer that's really grabbed my attention but I'll look out for this.

Leigh said...

Bailey - totally. I'm currently drinking gallons of Theakston's Lightfoot in the same capacity.

Sat In A Pub said...

Not really a big fan of Thwaites, but this is coming to a pump near me soon, so will give it a try.

Leigh said...

Tyson - yes, do - and let me know your thoughts.