Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Morrisey Fox Brunette

Or rather 'I shouldn't like it, but I do'. Why not? Why are most people who are 'serious about beer' so seemingly averse to Morrissey Fox? I suffer from it, too, but I can't pinpoint why. It would seem that in some circles, admitting you like a MF beer is akin to admitting you watch Market Kitchen (which I don't).


Anyway, despite being completely underwhelmed by their Blonde, I picked up a bottle of Brunette to accompany a night of Champion's League football, and also to raise a little toast to Keith Floyd, whose passing genuinely saddened me. He was a trailblazer in the culinary world and I do hope he gets the credit he deserves in the upcoming weeks. He'd have preferred Red Wine, I know, but he'll appreciate the sentiment, I'm sure.


I cracked open the bottle, snickering at the label and the sheer laddishness of everything (...tee-hee, it's called Brunette, how FHM...), only to find, upon my first sip, that this was a really good beer. Really. Its got a lovely deep, bonfire toffee aroma, which carries through to the body before being joined by raisins and a little more caramel sweetness. There's a little earthy, hoppy tang at the end, which finishes surprisingly dry for a sweet beer.


I personally couldn't fault it, and would happily drink it again. I had an inkling I would, however, seeing as though their 'Proud Of Pubs' bitter is also one that I've enjoyed recently; the two seem very similar. Anyway, onwards and upwards. Next week, I'll be tasting Carling whilst reviewing Market Kitchen.


Ps. It's Orval Day at North Bar today, If you fancy it.


5 comments:

Ale Louse said...

"Why are most people who are 'serious about beer' so seemingly averse to Morrissey Fox? I suffer from it, too, but I can't pinpoint why." - That bloody awful book might have something to do with it Leigh! ;o)

Barry M said...

I was similarly underwhelmed by their blonde, but wouldn't mind giving their brunette a go.

That just doesn't sound right...

Mark Dredge said...

Orval Day?! Man that sounds good!

I've not had any of the Morrisey Fox beers because of everything that surrounds them, that and I struggle getting past having their faces on the bottles. I have heard good things though so maybe I should pick up a bottle...

Leigh said...

Will...oh, the book...I picked it up, got to the first page, put it down....oh man. I'm waiting for it to show up in a christmas stocking this year, to be honest!! I can see it coming...

johng said...

maybe its because morrisey -fox dont actually brew the beer.Its contract brewed elsewhere.Now i dont expect mister kippling to bake cakes but these tossers made a documentry about their love of craft ale then sold out as soon as the filming was finished.